Saturday, July 10, 2010

Heartfelt


So at the risk of sounding like what society deems feminine, I'm going to post this anyway.

I was working today and taking an old couple's order. The conversation went something like this:

(Between me and the gentleman)
"Hey guys! Welcome to Mugs, can I start you off with anything to drink?"
"What kind of soda do you guys have?"
"We have... orange soda, I think, sprite,..."
"What I mean is, coke or pepsi?"
"Oh. Pepsi. Sorry."
"All right...well..."
at this point, he stumbled. He turned red a bit.
"...I'll just order when I order my meal."

(Between me and the lady)
"I'll order now. An iced tea, please."
"It's unsweetened. Is that all right?"
"Wouldn't have it any other way."
"OK."

I went and got her her unsweetened iced tea, and took their order. When I took their order, I forgot to ask the guy what he wanted to drink. When I came back, they had her unsweetened iced tea between them and they were sharing the one drink and the one straw. When I asked him what he'd like, he blushed again and said he was fine.


There's two points to this.



One, I think the fact that they shared a drink and a straw was the most adorable thing ever. When I was walking away from the table after he said he was fine, I felt put together. But like I had JUST been put together. It just seemed so right and...I don't know. Just right that they were sharing a drink.

Two, I hate that he was embarrassed and I wish he would have said "No, sir, I am going to share my wife's iced tea with her because we've been married for 46 years and I love her very much and I know EVERYWHERE that mouth's been for those 46 years and I trust her."

Maybe in real life he would have just said "I'm fine, thanks." or "I'll just share with her." But that he felt at first that he had to order something and skated around it for so long saddens me a bit.


I wonder what went through his head.


That's it. Have a good night. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment