Monday, July 12, 2010

Why would you POST that?


(On love)
"You know how when you're listening to music playing from another room? And you're singing along because it's a tune that you really love? When a door closes or a train passes so you can't hear the music anymore, but you sing along anyway... then, no matter how much time passes, when you hear the music again you're still in exact same time with it. That's what it's like."


Hah. I don't know.

Recently, when I first came home from school, two friends of mine (Kaitlyn and Trista) and I were sitting in the latter's living room and talking about our opinions on love.

I don't think I'm wiser or more experienced than anyone else in the area that is love. I just have a belief about it that I want to share. I suppose this is a disclaimer. I'd love to hear anyone else's ideas about love, because if you ask any of my closest friends, they'll tell you it's my favorite topic. So, here it goes:


I'm a strong believer in that there is only ONE person for everyone. That if there's that check list in someone's subconscious that explains the balance of faults, assets, quirks, physical features, etc that their partner would need to have in order for the relationship to last forever, there's only ONE person that fits all of them. And no, I don't mean "in the entire world".

I mean in the entire history, present, and future of time. People who believe there is only ONE person for them, I agree with. But what makes them think that their soul mate is around today? What makes them think the person who's absolutely perfect for them is the girl next door or living on a remote island somewhere? What if they aren't even born yet? What if they're already dead?

I think most people settle. And when I say most, I mean 99.9(repeated indefinitely) % of people. They settle for someone who meets as many of those criteria, some people for someone who doesn't meet ANY of the criteria.

I realize this is a really depressing, unappealing way to look at love and finding the right person for you, but I believe in the one true love, and I don't think that many people ever find them. I think I may know one person who actually got lucky enough to be born in the same town as their one true love, and I think THAT may be a miraculous personal statistic.


I can write a lot more....but I got out of my head and into this post everything that I've been thinking about. Questions? Comments? Concerns? If you're reading this, you're probably on facebook. Message me.

2 comments:

  1. I think your concept of the "one perfect person" is really beautiful and poetic. And also incredibly painful if you think that your one true love could've died before you were ever born, or the other way around.

    I used to believe in the idea of the "soul mate". I really did, but maybe it's because of my own experiences that I changed my mind. I think that I'm open to the idea of a soul mate. But at the same time I think that our future's are never set in stone. I'm a firm believer in creating our own destiny, and our own reality. Keeping that in mind, I think that depending on what choices you make depends on what person could potentially be waiting for you down that road.

    But I agree with the point you made about how we have the ideal person for us already made up in our minds and most of the time we only choose the person who fits it the best and not completely. So I do believe that my "perfect match" could have, or will live, in a different time.

    So that leads me to my question. If you believe that the whole Sandra Bullock/Keanu Reeves Lake House scenario is possible, what does that mean for you personally? Do you think you'll ever find that person in the afterlife, or that simply because of your circumstances you'll never be able to meet? And if you believe the latter, don't you find the entire idea heartbreaking? I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that I can say (or really sing) is:
    "Love
    Love is a sweet thing
    Oh yes it is"
    She sang "love
    Love is a sweet, sweet thing"

    It's everywhere you look
    If you look hard enough
    Its really not hard to see
    Yeah, once you put your arms around it
    You can never get too much
    Love is a sweet, sweet thing

    It's in the smile of a stranger
    In the eyes of a child
    On the corner of a crowded street
    Its everywhere around us
    Its always growing wild
    Love is a sweet, sweet thing"

    And I don't know anything else :)

    ReplyDelete